Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I thought 8-speed was enough

I've never been one to stay up-to-date with the latest bike technology. I won my first race on a $300 Centurion that had been welded back together at the bottom bracket by a friend - so...from early-on I figured, what's the point? This year I will begrudgingly upgrade my cross bikes to 10-speed. I've held out as long as I could...but my new bike will have 10sp D/A which means the pit bike needs it too. I absolutely despise this trend of ridiculous planned obsolescence, and for some reason I was naive enough to think it may end with 10-speed.


But nooooooooo...leave it to Campagnolo to one-up us all. The announcement of an 11-speed rear cluster has awakened me from my post-less stupor. The Spinal Tap references are waay too easy, so I'll barely even go there...


Ugh, I'd LOVE a pledge from Shimano not to follow suit...but that would just be wishful thinking - they're probably already dreaming of the 12-sp 12-23 straight-block cassette...

1 comment:

evan said...

or just go back to nine...

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

my campy 10 speed chain broke on the way home tonight; 11 will truly suck